MINI SCHOLARSHIP REQUIREMENTS
Please Read Carefully
Guyanese Girls Rock Foundation Inc. is a New York-based non-profit whose purpose is to empower and support the educational development of girls and young women of Guyana and of the Guyanese diaspora.
In the five years since its founding, the Guyanese Girls Rock foundation has played a significant role in transforming the lives of High School Girls from the Guyanese community in New York through the Young Women’s Leadership Academy (YWLA) mentoring and scholarship programs. To date, the organization has awarded scholarships to several college-bound graduates of the program.
The Young Women’s Leadership Fund seeks to provide scholarships to high school graduates in region four (4), Guyana who are girls, demonstrate leadership potential and a passion for volunteerism and community work, and preferably will be the first generation in their family to attend College or University.
To be considered for the GGR Foundation Young Women’s Leadership Fund mini scholarship, you
- Must be a Secondary school graduate with 5 CSEC passes who was accepted in a full-time undergraduate study at an accredited two-year or four-year college or university in Guyana for the upcoming academic year.
- Must present proof of offer of acceptance for the upcoming school year.
- Must reside in Region 4 and be the first generation of their family to attend university.
- Must demonstrate leadership potential and passion for volunteerism and community work.
- Five (5) mini-scholarships will be awarded.
- If selected as a recipient, the student will receive a USD$250.
- Awards are not renewable. However, students may reapply for scholarships each year they are eligible for the next three (3) years.
- Renewal of the scholarship is contingent on the student maintaining a GPA of 3.0 and above.
- Scholarships are for undergraduate students only.
The application deadline is July 31, 2023.
Selection of Recipients
- Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of:
- Academic Record or Transcript
- Proof of acceptance/enrollment status. Must be a freshman (1st-year student) or entering college in 2023.
- Demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities.
- A statement of educational and career goals and objectives
- A recommendation letter.
- A completed online application via the link below.
- CSEC results demonstrate 5 CSEC passes including Mathematics and English.
- A statement of educational and career goals and objectives.
- A 250-word inspirational essay titled “What Makes Me A Leader”, in which you will talk about your leadership, volunteer, or community work responsibilities you have held; one valuable lesson you have learned; what receiving this scholarship will mean for you, and how you would like to make an impact in the world.
- A recommendation from one of your Secondary school teachers or a leader in your community that talks about your leadership work and or potential.
- A brightly lit recent photo of yourself. The photo can be taken with a cell phone; No selfies, please.
Please send all supporting documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org